We have an array of canning jars of all sizes stocked up for the season. We think canning jars, fresh in-season strawberries, and sangria are a match made in heaven, and this recipe for Spring Sangria will have June brides and college graduates saying ‘Amen!’
Spring Sangria (adapted from ‘QUENCH’ by Ashley English
•Yields 4-5 cups, or 2 quart/4 pint jars
Using a large bowl or pitcher, combine the following:
• One 750ml bottle of crisp white wine such as Pinot Grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc
• 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP brandy
• 2 pints hulled and chopped ripe strawberries
• 1/4 cup pomegranate liquor (or juice)
• 3 TBSP sugar
Stir ingredients together using a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 4+ hours to ensure good flavor intensity. Pour over a prepared ice ball or handful of ice in each of 2 wide-mouth quart canning jars, and ease into that weekend you’ve been working for. Better yet, pop those jars in a picnic basket alongside a lunch for two and play hooky with your sweetheart. Tell your boss we said it’s okay.
• If you don’t drink alcohol, or want a family friendly refreshment, substitute plain kombucha in lieu of the wine and liquor for a refreshing and delicious alternative!
• Pretty up your presentation with a sprig of mint and/or a sugared rim!